Military School Info
Benefits of Military School
Benefits of School Uniforms Boys' Military School Curriculum Leadership Training Military Discipline at Boys Schools Military School Myths Reasons to Choose Boys School Military School Life Military School Values Benefits of Single Sexed Schools
Applying for Military School
Applying for Military School Boys Military School Cost Financial Aid for Military Schools Military Scholarships Choosing a Boys Military School
Alternatives to Military School
Boot Camps Boarding Schools for Boys College Prep Schools Summer School ADHD Boarding Schools Substance Abuse Boarding Schools Residential Treatment Facilities Christian Boarding Schools Therapeutic Boarding Schools Wilderness Programs Short Term Programs
Military School Options
Private Military Schools Military Prep Schools for Boys Summer Military School for Boys JROTC Review Military School vs Boot Camp Elementary Military School International Military Schools Military School for Troubled Boys Military Summer School
Military School Reviews
Christian Boarding Schools
There are a number of Christian boarding schools in the United States in a variety of denominations, as well as non-denominational Christian boarding schools. This article explains the various different types of Christian boarding schools.
Types of Christian Boarding School
There are several ways to distinguish the different types of Christian boarding schools. One way is by denomination. In the United States, there are Baptist, Calvinist, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopal, Methodist (Free and United), Moravian, Non-denominational, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic (including specific spiritualities, such as Augustinian and Dominican), Seventh Day Adventist, Society of Friends/Quaker. In Canada, there are Anglican schools as well. Non-denominational Christian schools generally try to focus on what is common to various sects of Christianity, such as the Bible, the words of Jesus, and baptism.
Another way to distinguish Christian boarding schools is by the other focuses they may have along with Christianity. Some schools only focus on religion and academics, while others have an additional focus. Examples include classical Christian boarding schools and Christian military schools.
Classical Christian Boarding Schools
Christian schools that also focus on a classical education often include the subjects of grammar, logic, rhetoric, and Latin and Socratic discussion. An example of a classical Christian boarding school is the Rhodora J. Donahue Academy of Ave Maria, a K-12 school that accepts boarding juniors and seniors as of fall, 2010. This school is Catholic and focuses on the trivium as the basis of education. The school is a candidate for accreditation through the National Association of Private Catholic and Independent Schools (NAPC*IS).
Christian Military Boarding Schools
A number of the military schools in the United States have a Christian affiliation as well as a shared focus on leadership training and academics. The boarding schools that fall into this category include the following:
• Hargrave Military Academy is a grade 7-12 boys only Baptist day and boarding school located in Chatham, Virginia.
• Fork Union Military Academy is a grade 6-12 boys only Christian boarding school located in Fork Union, Virginia.
• Lyman Ward Military Academy is a grade 6-12 boys only Christian day and boarding school located in Camp Hill, Alabama.
• Marine Military Academy is a grade 8-12 boys only Christian day and boarding school located in Harlingen, Texas.
• Massanutten Military Academy is a grade 7-12 coed Christian day and boarding school located in Woodstock, Virginia.
• Missouri Military Academy is a grade 6-12 boys only Christian day and boarding school located in Mexico, Missouri.
• New Mexico Military Institute is a grade 9-12 coed Christian boarding school located in Roswell, New Mexico.
• Howe Military School is a grade 5-12 coed Episcopal day and boarding school located in Howe, Indiana.
• St. John's Northwestern Military Academy is a grade 7-12 boys only Episcopal day and boarding school located inDelafield, Wisconsin.
• St. John's Military School is a grade 6-12 boys only Episcopal boarding school located in Salina, Kansas.
• TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas is a grade 8-12 coed Episcopal day and boarding school located in San Antonio, Texas.
• Randolph-Macon Academy is a grade 6-12 coed Methodist day and boarding school located in Front Royal, Virginia.
• Chamberlain-Hunt Academy is a grade 7-12 boys only Presbyterian day and boarding school located in Port Gibson, Mississippi.
Christian Boarding Schools
Christian boarding schools without influences other than the particular denomination and academics are plentiful in the United States. Most of them offer grades 7-12 or 9-12, and many have an optional post-graduate year. It is important to note that while some Christian boarding schools are fairly easy to recognize by their names:
• Episcopal High School (Episcopal)
• Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (Catholic)
• Lustre Christian High School (non-denominational Christian)
• Olney Friends School (Society of Friends/Quaker)
• San Marcos Baptist Academy (Baptist)
- - others are not easily distinguished by name:
• Blair Academy (Presbyterian)
• Blue Ridge School (Episcopalian)
• Cotter Schools (Catholic)
• The King's Academy (non-denominational Christian)
• Oak Hill Academy (Baptist)
• The Pennington School (United Methodist)
• Salem Academy (Moravian)
For this reason, it is useful to use sources that assist in identifying Christian schools, such as school search sites,such as Boarding School Review, accrediting agencies, such as NAPC•IS, and independent school associations, such as National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) when searching for a Christian boarding school.
Related Article: College Prep Schools >>